Teaching children how to protect themselves against bullying or other attacks is important but too often overlooked.
Practicing martial arts, however, is a great way to learn self-defence. It not only allows children to protect themselves but teaches them essential principles and values like hard work and perseverance.
If you are thinking about registering your child in sports or want them to learn proper self-defence, our Brampton studio has a fully-equipped Mixed Martial Arts studio with specialized programs for children.
Unsure whether you should enroll your children into martial arts? Here we discuss four reasons why you should.
4 Reasons Why You Should Enroll Your Children in Martial Arts
Martial arts teach children self-defence, but there are other benefits. Indeed, it is more than a workout or a helpful way to get them away from electronic devices. Here you will learn the four benefits of martial arts for kids so that you can make an informed decision.
- Discipline : Martial arts are traditional sports with a legacy. They teach students of all ages respect, focus, and honour for not only their instructors but their classmates. They also teach children self-restraint, which is an excellent life skill.
At Legends MMA, we create an ethos of honour and obedience that students catch on to quickly. As a result, you will notice increased discipline and compliance in your child once they start practicing martial arts.
- Determination: Martial arts help children learn the value of personal goals and determination. Many martial arts like karate, judo, taekwondo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, aikido, and kickboxing employ a belt ranking. Each belt represents a new level of proficiency and requires some qualifying examination to obtain. So, whenever students see classmates wearing higher-ranking belts, it creates a desire among them to strive for the next level.
The martial arts also demand physical fitness. They develop a child’s ability to exercise, strain, and surpass their limits by working harder.
- Development: There are several kinds of martial arts, each with its unique benefits.
- Karate: This martial art teaches students to never attack, be respectful, and focus on defence. They learn to use defensive and counterattacking body movements, honour their opponents, and develop their character.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Brazilian jiu-jitsu is fast-paced, which many children like. It is an engaging game of ‘human physical chess’ (because of its depth and technical nature) and very efficient concerning self-defence for children of all sizes. It also develops confidence, making children more humble, patient, and goal-oriented.
- Taekwondo: This sport is known for its employment of varied kicking techniques. It involves maintaining control, seeking peace, and aiming to stop fights rather than start them. So if you are trying to make your child strong yet calm and peaceful, taekwondo may be just the right style to explore.
- Kung Fu: This is one of the oldest and most complex styles of martial arts. It has three primary forms, which take time, focus, and determination to master.
- Defence: Your children will learn to protect themselves and those around them. Proper training and guidance can channel aggression in constructive, helpful, and beneficial ways. Students focus on individual growth, not team competition. This depletes their extra energy, making them calmer and more self-controlled.
All the martial arts benefits outlined above primarily focus on self-defence rather than self-promotion or bravado. We all know that self-defence is a basic right. That’s why not only kids but we all should acquire these skills. Legends MMA has a complete course for adults as well. If you want to learn self-defence, get in shape, stay active, lose weight, or become a fighter, we have classes and training regimens for all levels. So, whether you are enrolling yourself or your kids into martial arts, maintain a healthy diet, follow a routine, and consult our martial art experts to get on the right track.